Sunday, June 26, 2011

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Bon Iver's 2007 debut For Emma, Forever Ago is an absolutely amazing piece of work. It is a work of deeply personal pain and isolation that songwriter Justin Vernon created in a shack in Wisconsin. The follow up EP Blood Bank seemed to harness that same atmosphere, cementing Vernon as a songwriter of note, and Bon Iver as an act beloved by critics and listeners.

The two and a half years since the release of Blood Bank have seen some changes at camp Bon Iver. The cabin in the woods has been replaced with a studio hand built by Vernon and his brother, the solo singer songwriter has expanded to become a band (plus guests), and Justin himself has cheered the hell up.

That's not to say that what we have here is a collection of upbeat Partridge Family style songs about how great everything is. That wouldn't sit right at all. This is still obviously the same guy who made the stark and raw work of For Emma... but rather than isolating himself he's making music with friends.

Musically this makes the album more layered and interesting, but emotionally it's less open. A lot of the album manages to balance the two quite well. Michicant, Calgary, and Minnesota, WI are all great, rich, and interesting tracks. But every experiment misfires occasionally, and album closer Beth/Rest ends up sounding like a Phil Collins song.

I normally try to steer clear of other people's reviews before I write mine as I don't want to let other opinions influence my own. I was however made aware by twitter that Pitchfork have given the album 9.5/10 which is a pretty remarkable rank from a notoriously critical review source. I also read more than a few rave reactions from other people. Which has all baffled me a little. Not to say that the album isn't good. I just don't think it's 'album of the year' good.

In the end, when the dust has settled, I can't see myself coming back to this album over and over. If I have a craving for Bon Iver I'll be much more likely to put on For Emma... I don't resent Justin for evolving as an artist, or even for getting happy, I just think I wasn't ready to take the journey with him. Maybe I'll catch up if he waits for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment