Monday, February 20, 2012

Blurring The Line

As part of my re-purposing of this here music blog to be a place for all my music related ramblings I have increased the number of music related blogs and news sites I regularly check. That way I can bring you, dear reader, all the best and greatest music while it's still fresh and piping hot. The result of this is that I see quite a few stories repeated across the blogosphere as various territories catch on to the news.

Most of the time this is fine. When a new video is released, or tour dates scheduled, or awards are won, I can understand how that qualifies as news. I was struck one day last week when on my way to work, flipping through my various Flipboard feeds, I was inundated with the same item being reported across all the major sites. The problem I had was that the item in question was not about music in any substantial way. It was about the personal/romantic lives of two particular musicians.

Tragically even that much information isn't enough for you to know which story I'm talking about, and I'm not going to exacerbate the issue by going into detail. I don't think that music news should ever be indistinguishable from social gossip, but the line has become blurred.

It is my pledge to you, loyal peruser, that I shall never report the personal lives of musicians. I shall bring you only the juiciest, most relevant, pieces of music news. You will not be inundated with the ever changing parade of who is dating/marrying/divorcing/suing who. The only tearful reunions you will hear about will be on stage or in the studio.

If you want the other stuff it seems there are plenty of places you can go to get it, but this blog will always be about the music. Plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment