Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Joan As Policewoman - The Deep Field

Joan Wasser is one of those artists that I think should be much more popular than they are. As a violinist and pianist she's played with Rufus Wainwright, Antony & The Johnsons, Sparklehorse, Scissor Sisters, and even luminaries like Lou Reed and Elton John. She's not just a musician though, she also sings and writes, and in my opinion she does it all quite well.

I've liked Joan's two previous albums (2006's Real Life, and 2008's To Survive), but not with the all consuming passion of obsession. Tracks like Eternal Flame, and Furious have turned up in occasional playlists though. Although I'm freely willing to admit that I just didn't spend enough time with those albums.

The Deep Field has changed that trend. I know I listened to the album a lot so I could review it, but I was grabbed on my first run through. So I think I would have probably spent the time on this album anyway. This theory is backed up by the fact that this is her highest charting album to date (although the high water mark of #40 on the UK chart really doesn't do her justice).

There's a vibe to this album, almost a through line. It feels like a cohesive body of work. Not that it's a concept album, just that it all feels like it was played together. Like the band sat down and banged out the whole album in a single session. No retakes, no overdubs. Just musicians in a room. It's like you've walked into your favourite small jazz club (think Sydney's Basement) and they're the band for the evening.

Not that this is a jazz album, although Joan does have a great jazz voice. It's kind of hard to place in terms of genre. There's a little bit of funk and swagger to some tracks, and a quiet understated beauty to others. In contrast to much modern music the songs aren't brief either. Nothing clocks in at under four minutes, which takes us well outside the realms of pop, but nothing feels like it outstays its welcome. Even the friendly jams are completely free of self indulgence.

The real standout track is Forever And A Year, which grabbed me by the ears on my first listen. I think I must have hit repeat half a dozen times before I even heard the following track. It's deep and quiet and beautiful, and easily one of my favourite songs of 2011.

I'm seeing Joan next week when she's in town on her Australian tour, and I can't wait. It's going to be incredible to be in the same room as these songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment